Thursday, November 11, 2010

I Heart Wedding DIY - Chocolate Favours

Tomorrow my husband and I are headed to the wedding of one of his college friends so I thought it appropriate to share a little wedding DIY this evening. Before we got married this past June, one of the things I spent a lot of time thinking about was our favours. On the one hand, I wanted to do something edible since I didn't want to make people feel obligated to take home a little dust collecting trinket. On the other hand, I wanted to do something DIY that was really "me". When I saw personalized labels on chocolate bars I knew I had found the perfect favour!


These favours really could not be any easier to make. Start with a Caramilk bar (or any other type of chocolate bar with a foil wrapper). You can sometimes get them at the dollar store or you can buy them in bulk at Costco. Next remove all the paper labels leaving the foil underneath intact.



The next step is to cut your new labels. I purchased a pad of scrapbook paper from Michaels with various patterns that included our wedding colours. I think with a 40% off coupon I paid about $10 and I still have tons of paper left. I went with a variety of papers but you could choose to do all your labels the same. Cut your chosen paper into 4″ x 5.5″ strips using one of the original paper labels as a template. Once you have all your labels cut, simply wrap them around your chocolate bars and secure them with glue or a strip of two sided tape.

The last step is to print your text onto mailing labels. It's your choice whether to use white or clear labels. I chose white because my text didn't show up very well on the clear labels over my patterned paper. I thought the phrase "Love is Sweet" was cute for a chocolate bar wedding favour but you could write anything or just include your names and wedding date. Once you've come up with something you like, print and affix to the front of the bars. And you're done!

I think these went over really well at our wedding. There were none left on the tables at the end of the night and that's all I was hoping for. I got a lot of compliments as well for something that really wasn't difficult to create. Depending on the paper you chose you could use these as favours for any party or occasion. You could even make chocolate calling cards for your business! There are so many possibilities.

On another note, since we're out of town for a couple of days I'll be taking a little break from the blog. See you on Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, another great idea! Your so right, you end up taking home some wedding favor only to have it sit and collect dust until you '"off load" it to the goodwill.
    One day when we decide to get married Im sure Ill be looking back through your posts for some ideas because DIY is so much more personal and cost effective!
    Great blog!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete