Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Let It Snow - Make Your Own Snowflakes

The leaves have are all gone from the tree in front of our house, our heavier coats are in regular rotation, and it's almost dark when I leave the office at 5. Winter is nearly here and I figure I have two choices. I could be upset and wish for a summer that is many months away or I can embrace  the coming season. Well I say, let it snow! I'm celebrating the (almost) beginning of winter by creating a little "snow" of my own.

Paper Snowflakes

Chances are we've all made paper snowflakes as children. They are easy and fun to do and with little effort you can create some winter decor for your walls or windows. It's also a great craft to do with kids as there really is no wrong way to cut out a snowflake. Like the real thing, there are endless variations and part of the fun is discovering what you've created as you unfold your snowflake. If you've never made them before, Martha Stewart has clear and easy instructions on her website.



Snowball Cookies (aka Russian Tea Cakes)

I have made these delicate and delicious cookies in the past and they are wonderful! Best of all, they look like snowballs, perfect for my winter welcome. This particular version of the recipe was posted on AllRecipes.com and yields about 3 dozen cookies.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for decoration

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, cream butter and vanilla until smooth. Combine the 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar and flour; stir into the butter mixture until just blended. Mix in the chopped walnuts. Roll dough into 1 inch balls, and place them 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
  3. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven. When cool, roll in remaining confectioners' sugar.
    Time to curl up with a blanket and wait for winter. After all, snow means Christmas is on its way :)



P.S. Don't forget to enter my giveaway before November 19th!

No comments:

Post a Comment