Saturday, December 11, 2010

Gingerbread House

Remember all those Christmas cookies that I posted about needing to make? Well they've had to wait another couple of days. Last night was Chris' work Christmas party and there was no time for baking by the time we got home. Today is devoted to making a cake for my brother who turns 27 on the 15th but whose birthday we're celebrating tomorrow. Since I don't want to reveal the cake before the party, I decided to make a gingerbread house while I was waiting for the cake to cool.


My very sweet husband surprised me a couple of weeks ago with a Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer gingerbread house kit. I've been waiting until we get closer to Christmas to make it and today seemed like the perfect day.


The kit came with everything you need, even pre-made icing and little jelly figures. I've never made a gingerbread house before so I was hoping for some instructions but except, for the picture on the box, there was nothing to guide me.


The house was fairly easy to assemble, I just "glued" the various pieces together with icing and held them in place until it firmed up. I did make a mistake by attaching the roof before decorating the sides of the house. It was really difficult to fill in windows on the sides of the house where the roof hung lower. Oh well, lesson learned for next year!



It's certainly not the most beautiful gingerbread house I've ever seen but it was a fun project and not a bad end result for my first try. You can get your own kit at Sears here in Canada or any other place that sells products by The Wild Baker. Check out the rest of their Christmas project kits here!

No comments:

Post a Comment