Wednesday, September 26, 2012

By the Batch – Homemade Butterfingers

I pinned this recipe almost a year ago and then promptly forgot all about it. This happens with a lot of my pins, I think “oh what a great idea – I have to try that!” and then I move on to the next great idea and the one after that. It’s sad to say that sometimes I think I spend more time collecting great ideas than I do actually making some of them. Please tell me I’m not alone! In an effort to change that I’m going to start a “Pinned It – Did It” count to keep track of the things I pin and then actually make.

I started with these Homemade Butterfingers because the main ingredient is candy corn so it’s the perfect time of year to find it. And boy am I glad I did because these things are ridiculously good! I don’t really know how it’s possible but somehow melted candy corn and peanut butter combine to make a pretty incredible Butterfinger replica, right down to the flaky texture. Chris and I are gobbling these things up like there’s no tomorrow and I’m already planning my next trip to the Bulk Barn for more supplies ;)

Homemade Butterfingers

Ingredients

  • 1/2 lb candy corn (approx 130-150 pieces)
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Directions

Put the candy corn in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir and then continue microwaving in 15 seconds intervals, stirring after each, until melted. Once melted, combine with peanut butter. Working quickly, because it sets up fast, take the mixture and press it into a pan (I used half of an 8x8 but the size you use just depends on how thick you want your squares). Place it in the refrigerator and allow to cool completely. The original recipe suggests lining your pan with parchment but I didn’t and the candy popped out fine.

Once your candy is set (approx 20 minutes in the fridge) cut it into squares or bars. Bonus: You’ll get a lot of crumbs when you cut which are delicious when you save them and put them on ice cream! Melt your chocolate chips using a double boiler and then dip your squares in the chocolate to cover completely. Lay your chocolate covered squares on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and place in the fridge until the chocolate has hardened (approx 30 minutes). Then eat and enjoy!

Easy, right? I will definitely make these again – I’m thinking my family will love me just a little bit extra if I bring some of these to Thanksgiving dinner this year :)

Pinned It – Did It count: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment